Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Speaker buying guide for Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker System

Introduction:

Going to the movies is one of America’s favorite pastimes. You can sit down and watch the big screen and feel immersed by the movie because of the surround sound. Can you get that same experience on your computer in the comfort of your own home? Let’s look into Logitech’s new X-540 5.1 surround speaker system to see if these speakers can put you into the movie, game, or studio.

Logitech is one of the most renowned computer peripheral manufacturers in the world. The company has an excellent track record for producing some of the highest quality peripherals available on the market. I know that almost all of my friends have Logitech speakers and their systems sound amazing. I’m anxious to see how well these sound.

Closer Look:

The box that was shipped to my house was fairly small, but it wasn’t very light. Once I pulled it out of the shipping box, I got a glimpse of what I was about to shake my house with.



On top of the box, there is a giant “X”, product logo, and a small picture of the system. The front and back of the box display the system and some key features. Some of these features include the system having a peak power of 140 watts! That’s excellent for a computer speaker system in my book.










The other sides of the box display the specifications and contents of the system within. Something I’ve always admired about Logitech is that they always put multiple languages on their packaging.








Upon opening the box, I was amazed at how neatly nested everything was. I could instantly tell that the subwoofer was on the right and the speakers were stored in the box on the left.



The first thing I want to look at is the subwoofer. The subwoofer was wrapped in a plastic bag with its cables wrapped individually as well.




Specifications:

* Total RMS power: 70watts RMS Satellites: 45 watts RMS (2 x 7.4W front, 15.4W center, 2 x 7.4W rear
o Subwoofer: 25 watts RMS
* Total peak power: 140 watts
* Frequency response: 40Hz - 20kHz
* Drivers:
o Satellites: (2) 2" drivers per satellite
o Subwoofer: 5.25" ported driver
* Speaker dimensions (H x W x D):
o Satellites: 8.4" x 3.2" x 5.0"
o Center channel: 7.8" x 4.75" x 3.75"
o Subwoofer: 11.25" x 6.5" x 9.75"


Testing:

Test System:

* Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Processor
* ASUS P5N32-SLi SE Deluxe Motherboard
* OCZ Gold 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800 Memory
* eVGA 7950GT KO Video Card
* XG Vortec 600watt Power Supply
* Western Digital 250GB IDE Hard Drive
* Western Digital 160GB SATA 3.0GB/s Hard Drive
* Seagate 80GB IDE Hard Drive
* LG DVD-R DL Burner
* Windows XP Media Center 2005
* Audigy 2 Sound Card
* Enermax Uber Chakra ATX Full Tower Case


The only way that I wanted to test this sound system is to attempt to blow a speaker or get it to crackle or sound bad. I played multiple songs at full blast that played a lot of high notes, bass, and many sounds at once. The subwoofer always sounded very clean when it hit no matter what I threw at it. Since I’m in the basement, I played a few songs with a lot of bass while I was upstairs to see if I could hear it. I could hear it clear as day and it was loud! It was seriously deafening to sit in front of this system while it was turned up to the maximum. On my old set of Dell speakers, you could really tell how crappy they were when you turned the music up to their maximum because it was crackly and just didn’t sound right. I’ve never heard such crisp sounding computer speakers in my life, and that’s quite a claim. Even my buddies were awed at how good these sounded and just how loud you could get them.

Conclusion:

Don’t pass up this 5.1 speaker system from Logitech when you’re shopping for a new set of computer speakers or home entertainment speakers. The bass that is produced by the subwoofer is so clean hitting that all of the songs I played sounded a tad better than before. Having a master control unit to control the master volume, bass, and 5.1 or 2.1 setup is perfect. When my speakers are hooked up behind me and I’m not watching a movie or playing a game, I like to just use the 2.1 setup. At full blast, I honestly felt like I was sitting front row at a Carlos Santana concert listening to him play some of the meanest guitar solos ever known to man. My gaming got elevated to a whole new level because I actually jumped when I got shot from behind because I heard the sound behind me and it just made the game more realistic. I felt as if I was getting shot at when Tony Montana went on his rampage and shot up his house. These 5.1 surround sound speakers really do put you into the game, movie, and studio.


Pros:

* Crisp Sound
* Clean hitting bass
* Looks
* Master control unit


Cons:

* While headphones are in use the master control unit is deactivated




BUY -- Logitech X-540 5.1 Speaker System



Speaker Buying Guide store
Development Toy store
Speaker Buying Guide review
Development Toy blog

No comments: